Here are the answers to my secret pal questions:
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
Soft wools, i.e. merinos; cotton; silk; I like unusual blends and fibers....for me the hand, drape and feel are more important than the fiber....some of the yarns I like the most are blends or even synthetics. I do not like alpaca very much as I find that the itch factor is too much for me, same with Angora. When I buy wool, it tends to be merino or exceptionally soft.
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
Rather, what don't I store them in? I do have a couple of bags that I have made for wrangling my needles, but they just never seem to work. I always have needles all over the place. I am going to look for a glass container today actually for the bulk of the straights that I have. I like circs alot and have more than my fair share of the markets stock of them, but recently have been enjoying 10" straights more.
3. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I started knitting in like 2001 or 2002. I was self taught, and still have the magazine that inspired me. I can post which one it was later. I would consider myself advanced, primarily due to my penchant to design my own patterns, and having conquered entrelac, learning reverse knitting in the process as well as travelling stitches and knitting a tube on straight needles. I ain't so good at lace though.
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
It's probably out of date, but yes.
5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
Hmmm, I would have to say ginger scents, but tropical and fruity is usually a good start. I also like mint for bath products, as it cools me down.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Um. Yes. They are all sweet, but also have the ability to taste artificial sweeteners in anything, which drives DH crazy. Favorite candy would have to be tied between Skor bars and See's California or Cashew Brittle. Think TOFFEE.
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
Yes, I spin just about anything, including my head and the potter's wheel Hmmm....sewing, quilting, crochet, pottery, painting, sculpture, a little beading, some embroidery and cross stitch (not counted), scrapbooking etc. I have pretty much tried it all as part of the ongoing I can do it myself thought process. Right now, mostly I knit and spin, although weaving is coming into the picture as well.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
Eclectic, with an emphasis on world music, particularly Middle Eastern and Celtic music, and female vocalists. Some faves are Deep Forest, Cheiftains, Dead Can Dance, Enigma, anything by Enya, classical, Gregorian chants, country, etc.
9. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?
Greens, blues, purples are great....red and pinks are right out, as are neutrals, as they clash with my sizzling personality and flaming red hair.
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
Married with children. The number varies on how you count them. I have two babies, DS who's 5, and DD who is 13 months. My husband and the cats are sometimes also counted depending on how they are behaving on any given day.
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
I love ponchos, but have not been wearing them so much, as they are a growing fashion don't. I also wear alot of scarves, but not so much wool scarves.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
I love scarves, ponchos, shawls, and sweaters. Mostly I knit the first 3.
13. What are you knitting right now?
OTN I have a sweater, a pair of socks, a pair of gauntlets and a crocheted scarf.
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
Yes, but especially if it's something I don't do myself already.
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
Yes. I prefer either wood/bamboo or Addi circs. Then I like fancy straights, like Lantern Moon or Asciano. I don't like aluminum though because of the fingernails-on-the-blackboard factor.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
Yes, to both, although my husband also sometimes winds yarn, or at least holds the skein when things get tricky.
17. How did you learn to knit?
Self taught. I learned continental, because it made sense, but started out knitting into the back of the loop, because I could not make sense of the pictures, etc. But the problem with KBL is that knitting in the round goes bias, which is a problem... I have since learned to KFL, and things have straightened right out.
18. How old is your oldest UFO?
I don't have any oldies that I know of. I frequently go through WIPs and finish it or just frog it.
19. What is your favorite holiday?
Summer. I don't care that much for Christmas mostly due to commercialism, Thanksgiving is nice because of the lovely food, but summer is the best. Not that it is a holiday per se.
20. Is there anything that you collect?
Besides yarn, fabric, and spinning fiber? There are other things to collect? Wow, I had no idea.
21. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
Not really, mostly because I LOVE magazines, any magazines. I take IK, Handwoven, and Spin-Off, Knitters, Easy Knitting/Knit Simple, Vogue, Knitting, and then also purchase Simply Knitting. I am considering not renewing Knitters, and Knit Simple, due to them coming out on the stands before coming to me, which pisses me off.
22. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
I want to learn to knit Fair Isle with two colors. I tried a bit, but it was painful to do those rows. It means that I have to learn English.
23. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
Yes, I have no idea, I just knit til it seems right to do the heel. Mostly it works, but I will measure the dogs and post it. Basically I am a size 9-9 1/2 nowadays.
24. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)
July 3rd, which pretty much sucks because everyone is celebrating Fourth of July and usually out of town. I am a quadruple Cancer and double Leo.
So there it is!